Saturday, April 19, 2008

Yoga at the Park

Yoga at the Park
by Morning Glory Yoga Studio
April 19, 2008 - 11 a.m.
In Honor of Earth Day 2008


I can't think of a better way to start the weekend than practicing yoga. Having the opportunity to practice in the presence of Nature is an experience unto itself. But... I'm getting ahead of my story...


My morning began quite early (early for me, anyway). I met my fellow yoga instructors, Kim and Amy, at the studio to help load up the things we would need for the class. Mother Earth forgive me... I don't have the friendliest car for the environment, but it sure did prove to be handy today for hauling the things we needed. I am not at a point in my life where I can go out and buy a new car... so for now, I'll hang onto my Xterra until it is on its last leg and find other ways to walk lightly on the Earth. We all have to start from somewhere, right? Anyway, I can't go on with my story without mentioning the driving of the tea. Kim made some tea to bring for the potluck... raspberry pomegranate... yum... it smelled wonderful. The tricky part was the container that it was in. Even getting to my car to load it up, Kim had to walk at a snail's pace to ensure it didn't all slosh out. She was successful in her endeavor. Now, it was my turn. The driving of the tea turned out to be quite comical due to the fact that any little bump I hit would free the tea from the confines of its prison. I had to first manage getting over the brick streets which meant I was moving as slow as molasses. I felt like I needed a sign which read "Tea on Board!" which would make absolutely no sense to anyone except the three yoginis in my car attempting to get from point A to point B with their tea intact. I suppose I should mention that we were transporting other items at the same time, but it was the tea that bubbled our laughter out of us. Perhaps this won't seem as comical to anyone reading this, but it sure is to me. *giggling still*


Amy, the owner of Morning Glory Yoga, led this morning's class. It was such a beautiful day... perfect for yoga at the park. We had a great turnout with about 23 people showing up to participate in yoga and celebrate Earth day. What a lovely gathering of friends within the community... new and old! I have practiced Yoga outside before, but attempting to be graceful and present on grass was a brand new experience for me. I truthfully wondered if balance was going to be a problem... considering that the earth beneath was uneven. That must've been ego sneaking up on me. As class started, I let go of my concerns, and happily found myself once again in the present moment of my practice. The freedom that comes with letting go of any attachment and enjoying the actual moment of NOW is such a beautiful experience. I was amazed at the sense of connection I felt with the Earth... and it was expressed beautifully in my practice, especially during my balancing poses. I felt the support of the Earth below... I felt strength, grace and lightness all at once. To be able to actually see the sun, the trees, ....all of nature as I was practicing brought forth such a sense of wonder within me... and feelings of love and respect for this Earth that we inhabit... and for all living beings. To live with compassion is certainly the divine expression of love!

No comments: