My dream of traveling to India, which was within my grasp, has slowly begun to slip away. As they say here in Texas, "Dad gummit!!" What does that mean, anyway? Of course, this is not to say that I will never go to India... I just have to revise that particular life plan a little bit. Besides, 2010 is really not so far away is it?
As I began to pursue my studies in yoga my attention, naturally, was drawn to India. It is the birthplace of yoga, after all. I do not wish to travel to India with the intention of standing in the middle of the street and saying, "Okay, I'm here. Now, where is my guru?" I do go with the intention of wanting to further my studies of yoga as a way of life, as a discipline, and not just as a form of physical practice. I want so much to impart this knowledge to my students, but without understanding it completely, myself, how can I do that? I know, I know... with time and experience the lessons will come. I can be impatient at times... a lesson that is constantly showing up in my life. Is that why my India trip has been postponed again? Hmm?? I don't want to go to India to just study yoga. I want to go to experience India - the land, the people, the culture, the food, all of it!! And I plan to enjoy the experience as a solo traveler... not because I don't want to go with someone, but because I believe that in life there are times to travel as a group and there are times to journey on one's own. This particular adventure in my life is very much the latter. Besides, just think of all of the people I will come across and meet as I travel through the country. I can't wait to share those stories with all of you!!
So, why did India get put on hold? Well, one (which was not so much a worry for me but for my family) was the recent Mumbai attacks. That is the very region where I was planning to start my journey. My plans were to fly into Mumbai because the program I was interested in attending is not too far from there. My heart and love certainly go out to all of those affected by the events at Mumbai. It breaks my heart to be a witness to such hate and disrespect for life. My continued hope is that we will all turn within to find the love and compassion that we hold for one another and for ALL of life. I had a moment's pause after hearing the news at Mumbai, but I decided I was not going to allow the news to stop me from going. Well, it looks like the universe had something else to say about that!! The month-long yoga therapy program that I have been researching and had decided to attend is already overbooked for next year. Can you believe it? I truly had to ask myself at that point, "Okay, perhaps now I should pay more attention to the signs that are coming my way."
With sadness in my heart and after much consideration I decided that 2009 would not be my year for India. 2010, though, is another matter!! With the light returning to my eyes I realized that I could apply for the program in Nashik... but also now have time to consider if I would prefer to study with The Himalayan Institute in Allahabad!!! My plan is to attend a training program (month long) and then take a month to travel the country and experience India. And, honestly, having the extra year will give me time to be better prepared for my trip.
With my plans to move to Wilmington just four months away perhaps making the attempt to travel to India and be gone for 2 months is not the wisest course of action. So it is with me... I grab hold of an idea and just run with it. I don't often put much thought into what I'm doing. That's a good thing, right? :)
My focus has brought me back to the task at hand of preparing for my move to Wilmington, North Carolina. I get to return to a beach community!! Isn't that great?! And another huge plus is that I'll be living, once again, in the same city as my brother.
Now, if we can just get the folks to pack up and move, too....
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment