Wednesday, November 3, 2010

21 Days of Joy: Rock Wall Climbing

Day #20: Rock Wall Climbing

I suppose it was learning the news this morning of a dear friend's father passing away that prompted me to go rock wall climbing today. I was reminded of my impermanence and that, sometimes, putting things off until tomorrow may mean that I may be too late. I don't know if it's because I'm looking for the perfect moment to do these things I want to do. It's a lesson I have to learn often that, I hope, will one day finally stick with me ~ There is no perfect time except for right now.

This particular feat has been on my "To Do" list for quite some time now. I found myself typing "rock wall climbing wilmington nc" into a Google search. There were a number of links that showed up with a few promising ones. I clicked the link to Jungle Rapids and found they offered a 2 climb session for only $4.99. Typically, I would've decided against this location because it just didn't seem like the place to go for my 1st experience. Who knows where my head is sometimes?! Maybe I thought I'd finally try rock wall climbing when I was on board a cruise ship... ahem, yup... that's me... waiting for the "perfect" experience. Well, going to Jungle Rapids turned out to be a great experience! There was hardly anyone in the place so it was like having the place all to ourselves! Oh, yes, my brother, sister-in-law and sweet little nephew came to be my cheerleading squad. I was so happy that we all went together!! I'm used to doing things by myself so it was so wonderful for me to be able to share this experience with them! It was because of their positive support that I made it all the way to the top of that 30 foot wall and experienced the accomplishment of getting to ring the cowbell!! Yeah, yeah, yeah!! I did it!! *Ring, ring, ring!!* "That was for you, Mr. Pruett!! I'm so glad I had the pleasure of knowing you and thank you for the stories!!"






It seemed like a "thumb's up" kind of moment!

















starting the climb...







Put my foot where?!









I think I got stuck here. I couldn't get my brain to wrap around my brother's instruction of let my legs take the weight and stay close to the wall.



2/3 of my cheering squad!









I love this photo! I feel like Camden is pointing and saying, "Hey, where is Auntie Jen going?!"















Just a little higher! By now, my arms were sooooo tired! This is where I was telling myself, "Dig Deep! And do it!!"















MADE IT!!!!


















Coming down!! Repelling is fun!!










I meant to land on my feet...oh well!






Rock wall climbing...CHECK!!







2 comments:

Anonymous said...

yeah for you Jen!!!! can't wait to hear about what is next!
Joanie

Jennifer said...

Thanks, Joanie! I can't wait to find out what is next, too! :-)