Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Why run a Half Marathon?

Isn't the more appropriate question, "Why wouldn't I want to run a 1/2 Marathon?"

I've come to a point in life that I am tired. Tired of hearing that I can't do something. Tired of someone questioning whether I can or can't do something. And, most of all, tired of telling myself that I can't do something. From now on, I CHOOSE to believe that anything is possible!

Imagine... when after 17 weeks I accomplish my goal of crossing the finish line of a 13.1 mile race... imagine what I can do next! The possibilities are endless!!

And then there is that high school teacher that called me a "gold digger" and said that I would probably amount to no more than being barefoot and pregnant. So, why try? That statement stuck with me over the years. I don't know if there was a piece of me that began to believe that, yeah, maybe I wouldn't amount to much. Little by little I chip away at those harsh words, find forgiveness for the person that said them and move forward in the direction of my life. We all know the lesson here, right? There is power in what we think and what we speak, so take care and be mindful in your relationships with yourself and others. So, perhaps, completing a half marathon is my way of proving to myself and to him that I CAN accomplish anything. Is the motivation wrong? I don't really know, but I do know, that each time I succeed in accomplishing that which I set out to do, I feel alive and connected to my spirit, my true inner nature... that piece of me that enjoys the adventures and new experiences of life.

I'm running a Half Marathon for all the naysayers throughout my life, and even today, that have questioned or do question my ability to do something. I'm doing it for my sweet nephew, Camden. I look at this amazing baby and know that he has the whole world in front of him. He can be anything, do anything that he wants. There will be those that question what you do and tell you that you can't do something. Don't ever let anyone tell you that you can't do something! For me, for him and for all of you, I want us all to know to always listen to our hearts, to believe and to ALWAYS go for our dreams... whatever they may be!

I'm doing it for anyone, like me, who has struggled with their weight and thought because of that fact that participating in any sort of event such as this was out of their reach. Weight loss really isn't a goal of mine for this journey. I see it more as a side benefit to the overall picture.

I suppose the biggest motivation for me is that I, first, said "yes" and that I have an opportunity to show myself that, no matter the challenges, I can accomplish anything I choose to do.

What is it that you have always wanted to do but have yet to do it? What step can you take today towards that goal? First say, "yes," believe in yourself, and let the journey unfold.

"Because you are alive, everthing is possible" ~Thich Nhat Hanh


No comments: