Here it is again. Valentine's Day.As I walk through the stores who have amassed themselves with chocolate, flowers, stuffed animals and all of those other wonderful goodies that we feel so compelled to buy I can't help but wonder... Exactly how & when did Valentine's Day begin? And how did we used to celebrate Valentine's Day... before it became so commercial? Oh, gosh. I know I probably sound like the "scrooge" of Valentine's Day, but that truly isn't it at all. Perhaps in the past it was, but today, no. It's a curious thing to watch human nature that on this day of days we scramble to buy those things that we feel expresses our love for one another. Funny, isn't it? When did buying things become the expression of how much our love meant for one another? But then again, perhaps it is more so in the act of doing those things that our love is expressed. Hell, what do I know? I'm still single, right? Okay, back to the history of V Day....
So, apparently, the beginnings of Valentine's Day is shrouded in mystery; however, there is some interesting reading in the theories of how it began. It's a bit more than I'd like to post in this blog so if you're interested here are a few sites to try: The History of Valentine's Day from History.com, The Origins of Valentine's Day or try Valentine's Day at Wikipedia.This holiday has always been a rather interesting one for me. No holiday reminds me more so than THIS one of the fact that I am single. From walking through the retail stores to seeing the commercials on TV... it's enough to make me gag! Okay, not really... well, maybe just a little. I can be honest here, right? :) Being in love is a wonderful thing but having the reminder of being single practically shoved into your face... well, that doesn't do so much to brighten up my day. By the way, why hasn't someone come up with a brilliant marketing plan to cater to us single people during V Day? Why not? Something like "Celebrate your singleness in the love of family and friends." Okay, that wasn't so good... and THAT is why I did horribly in my marketing class during college!!
What IS with all my jibber jabber this morning? I simply meant to write this post to wish everyone a Happy Valentine's Day. I now sit here and reflect on what V Day means to me TODAY. Not what it meant to me in the past or what it could mean to me in the future, but what it means to me TODAY in the presence of THIS moment. Dismissing the commercialization of what it has come to be and turning my attention within to my heart.... this is what Valentine's Day holds for me...
Today, Valentine's Day, is an expression of the heart. It is an opportunity to realize, once again, the love and compassion that resides within each of us, and in whatever manner we choose to celebrate this day, we give ourselves and each other the gift of our eternal love. On this day, February 14th, 2009, I celebrate the singleness of the courageous and beautiful woman that I am. I hold a place in my heart for love, and until that path should come before me, I continue to know the abundance of love that surrounds me in the gift of family and friends.
Happy Valentine's Day, Everyone!!! May today bless you in the riches of the love that is shared between one another... and in ALL OF LIFE that surrounds you.
From my heart to yours, ~Jennifer
PS Flowers! I've never met a lady that didn't like flowers!! :)

No comments:
Post a Comment