Saturday, October 16, 2010

21 Days of Joy - Argentine Tango & Oak Island


Day #2: Argentine Tango.



I love the Tango. And now, I'm loving the Argentine Tango!

Answering the question at my last yoga training of what brings me joy I thought back to the times my friend, Cindy, and I would go to ballroom dancing lessons on Saturday afternoons back in Nacogdoches, Texas. I love dancing, whether it be taking lessons or blasting some music and shaking my happy hips in my living room! Of the different dances we learned, Tango was definitely my favorite with Cha Cha in a close 2nd. I'm definitely one who prefers the Latin dances.

In remembering how much I enjoyed ballroom dancing I did a web search to see what studios were available here in Wilmington. I came across Babs McDance and noticed there was an Argentine Tango class on Saturday afternoons. Perfect!

I called the studio to make sure it was okay for me to drop-in and to see if I had to have a partner or not. No partner needed so I was good to go! Stepping into the studio, I was pretty nervous because it looked like everyone there knew each other pretty well. After speaking with a few of them I learned that they had all been together for a few weeks now. "Well," I thought, "I'm just gonna do what I can and take it one step, one beat at a time." We rotated partners throughout the lesson and each guy I danced with was so patient and so willing to teach me what I was supposed to be doing. When the teacher called me upfront to be his partner I thought he was kidding, but no, he was serious. C'mon, Dan, it's my first lesson!! So, I did alright... actually, better than alright. I learned something new. I met new people. I had fun.

When I dance, I'm happy. It's as simple as that. I'll definitely go back for more Tango-ing!!

My Saturday just kept getting better and better. My Mother and I took a trip in the late afternoon to Oak Island. She spotted a nursery on the way out so we decided to stop and have a little look around. We found a few treasures for my house. Nice! Afterwards, we made our way to Oak Island and enjoyed a nice walk on the beach with a lovely surprise of getting to see the sunset over the ocean! You can see a short video from our trip to Oak Island HERE. Happy viewing!!

No comments: